Friday, July 11, 2008

Back in the USA!

Well, my trip was certainly a Turkish Delight! It was a total whirlwind of a trip, with little to no time to call home or write, let alone blog.

In a nutshell, Turkey is the place to go for history, culture, art, beaches, sunshine, water and of course, wonderful food!

I started knitting a pair of socks on the plane ride out, but the usual happened. I started reading about the destination and talking to my counterparts for the trip and the socks were returned to the luggage. My idea was to sit by the pool and knit in the evenings, until I saw our itinerary! We were getting early morning wake-up calls, repacking luggage most every night and getting on the bus for new destinations by 7-8 am each morning. Not to mention the late night dinners, sights and shows.

As the weeks progress, I will be posting the inspiring colors and textures that I encountered in this land of wonder. Heading this entry is a photo of my prize Turkish socks that I was able to purchase. They were hidden beyond the many larger needle varieties that filled the bazaars. These were an original hand knit design from a local knitter done on small needles. I feared that they would not sell them to me, since they were hung in the displays of folk clothing. But my desperate look must have told them that I would cherish the knitted treasures, and the next thing I knew, I was swapping Turkish Lira for the goods!

4 comments:

Littknits said...

Welcome home! Can't believe that you've already been there and back. The Turkish socks are exquisite. Looking forward to hearing more about your trip!

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! Glad you are back can't wait to hear about all your travels!

kpultzdesign said...

whew! I read "started knitting a pair of socks..." saw the photo, and thought "wow! She was really inspired!"...those are a beautiful addition to your world sock collection.

looking forward to the stories...and where are you off to next? Korea is it...hmmm, wonder what those socks will look like...

Anonymous said...

Wow! Think you've been back and gone already. Those socks are incredible.

What stories you'll have to tell us. Can't wait.